Nancy's Reviews > Secret Saturdays

Secret Saturdays by Torrey Maldonado

F 50x66
Nov 28, 2009

bookshelves: strongly-recommend
Recommended to Nancy by: a fellow teacher
Recommended for: middle school teachers and students
Read in August, 2009 , read count: 1

When I read this book, I could experience what it was like for a young boy to grow up in the Red Hook projects of Brooklyn. Having taught middle school for almost 30 years, I instantly realized what a great read this would be for middle school students. Not only would adolescents identify with Sean and Justin, but they would be intrigued by the mystery in the plot line. As a teacher I know that the choices that Sean eventually made were ones that we would hope all young males in the throws of adolescence would make.

One thing I especially enjoyed about Secret Saturdays was the way Torrey Maldonado captured the language, the self-consciousness, and the false bravado of thirteen year old boys. The close friendship of Sean and Justin was also something that all middle school students-- either boys or girls--will identify with.

This book is a must read for all middle school students, especially those living in urban environments or in single-parent households. I truly enjoyed this great new novel for young readers!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secret Saturdays.