jess's Reviews > True Green Home: 100 Inspirational Ideas for Creating a Green Environment at Home

True Green Home by Kim Mckay

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: 2009, interiors
Recommended to jess by: re-nest.com
Read in November, 2009

I picked this up because it was reviewed on Re-Nest. I'm not sure what about their review (including the use of the world "basic" multiple times) made me think I needed to read this, but I did anyway. It's a smaller, coffeetable-style book, not a text heavy academic tome. The pictures, interestingly enough, appear to be from a stock "interior design" catalog, and often have nothing to do with the "green tip" on that page. The best word to describe this book is "okay." I don't think there was a single idea in the 100 that I hadn't already considered, but if someone had good intentions and little experience, I could see this being an eye-opening experience for them. By the time you are looking for comprehensive plans to green your home, however, you are probably way past this book. I did appreciate some of the more subtle irony - one of the Case Study sections is Whole Foods, and there are a lot of non-green things about Whole Foods! They certainly are not one of my green rolemodels. Also ironic -- the authors use the word "greenwashing," as in, "Beware of greenwashing." But then they turn around and recommend a variety of practices that are greenwashing at best - and downright harmful or counterintuitive to a green lifestyle at worst. All in all, this was mostly disappointing because it was put out by National Geographic, and generally I expect way more from them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Green Home.