Carly Thompson's Reviews > The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance

Nov 28, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 2009, biography-autobiography, comedy
Read in November, 2009

This was a very quick read about the struggles of being single and Mormon in Manhattan. While parts of the book were funny (I especially like "Babies Buying Babies" about her experience demonstrating expensive dolls at FAO Schwarz)overall I found the book somewhat meandering. Baker discusses her Mormon faith, the difficulties of finding a boyfriend in New York, her weight loss, and various jobs she has in New York but none of them in great depth. I didn't know much about Mormonism before reading this book and I liked the exploration of how she balances practicing her religion with living in a secular society that doesn't understand her faith. However at some points she seems whiny and self-involved (her continual quest for a boyfriend/soul mate and her strict diet) rather than the humorously self deprecating tone I think she was aiming for. While I can't highly recommend this book it would appeal to readers who like chick lit novels or humorous memoirs.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance.