Rebecca McKinnon's Reviews > The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Nov 30, 09

bookshelves: book-club
Read in November, 2009

You can hate me for this review if you want, as I'm the only person I know who can't possibly claim this as a favorite. However, just to clarify, I'm fairly stingy with my 5 stars. I can't bring myself to give an okay book the same rating as something I really enjoy.

I came to this book with really high expectations. I'd only ever heard fantastic things about it, and I was curious as to the reason for all the hype. Maybe that was part of the problem.

There were things about the book that I really enjoyed. I loved Death as the narrator--and not the typical Death you think of but an over-worked, soul-weary Death. And I really enjoyed Death's interjections throughout the book. I also liked the pages introducing the new sections. And, as a mom, the fact that there were stopping points left and right was a bonus!

If I'd read this book 15-20 years ago--BEFORE reading well over 75 similar WWII books--I probably would have loved it. As it is, I couldn't find anything to make this book stand out from the others, despite searching and constant hope.

It was a decent read, but nothing special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Thief.