Adam 's Reviews > Number the Stars

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry

Jan 14, 09

Recommended for: no one

Is it just me, or do most books about Jewish girls during World War II suck? I'm serious, it's like this book and "Summer of my German Soldier" were written with the same purpose in mind: educate students about the Holocaust in just about the most boring way possible. Thank God there's the History Channel, or else my generation would've have thought the Holocaust as if it were simply a story about little girls and their twisted lives. I'm probably overexaggerating a bit, but ut's the best way I can think to describe this book. How it ever won the Newberry Medal is beyond me. C'mon, the freaking climax of the book is when the main characher (Annemarie) skips through the forest, pretending to be Little Red Riding Hood. Yea, I go through 100-something pages to reach that. Yea, I'd like my money and my time back, please? Don't ever read this book.

EDIT: How did this book get an award? It must have been a slow year the year it won.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Number the Stars.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Leah That is a little bit ignorant don't you think? You don't like the book because the main character is a girl? Go read "The Pianist." It's all about men. Maybe that would be more to your liking...

Michelle Did you not notice it covers a part of the war that is hardly ever touched on...how the danish people managed to save almost their entire jewish population....no other country did that and it isn't covered much. It's not just about a girl skipping through the woods. You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about little girls.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick Deherrera how could you not like the book, the book is very good and like that other lady said it covers a part of the war that is hardly ever touched. Just because its on a jewish girl it makes it bad? this book is very educational on world war 2. Imagine if you were a jew, how would you feel if all kinds of Nazis wanted to kill you and make you their slaves. Then would you think the book sucks?

Ethan I think that was a really mean review. I agree with

Mariel I didn't hate this book, but I do feel that holocaust novels are a bit overdone , and no one can say a word against them because they are about such a horrible tragedy. I feel that they have their place in the literature world, but I think that sometimes they tend to be over-acclaimed purely because of their subject matter.

Nadia I think, perhaps, saying that this books sucks is a bit too harsh. I read it to my 3rd graders & they could hardly wait to hear what happened next. It was very engaging for them. If you are interested in a more "exciting" book about the Holocaust with a girl protagonist you should try "The Devil's Arithmetic" by Jane Yolen.

Dani Chan I would hope your school did a better job at teaching the Holocaust than the History Channel.

I'm not sure when you read this but age matters. I read this when I was 10 and would not read it again because it's a children's book. The effects of that book still resonate with me, though, like that Little Red Riding Hood story - it reminds me a lot of that Italian movie, Life is Beautiful. In a horrific war that these two young girls are caught in, they still pretend to get through it.

And I still remember the first few pages that describes the soldiers walking around on their streets. It gave me a powerful foreboding sense then as it does now.

Amy L. Campbell I think maybe the reason you didn't like this is because it was written on a 6th grade level. If you're looking for something a little more adult I highly recommend "A Woman in Berlin." It doesn't cover the Holocaust portion, but it is an excellent portrayal of some of the issues women and girls faced during World War II, perhaps it will invoke the sympathy in you that Number the Stays obviously did not.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Olson Ok, seriously Adam Duke, you didn't just give a review, you just ranted like a jerk... show some respect.

message 10: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam Not all books have to be action-packed to be intriguing.... the climax was a little girl going through the woods, but it was involved in a brilliant escape plan to free innocent people... understood if that concept dosent appeal to you, but maybe try somethings more action packed

Monica The book was written with a certain age group in mind, and like many others, it caught my attention as a youngster. It made me want to learn more about the Holocaust and the people behind it, not just the victims. It's a book like this that gives kids the love of reading and they can continue to grow into reading more mature text.

message 12: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Olson Monica wrote: "The book was written with a certain age group in mind, and like many others, it caught my attention as a youngster. It made me want to learn more about the Holocaust and the people behind it, not j..."

Well said Monica! Like you this book also made me want to learn more about the Holocaust as well!

message 13: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex I think your review is disrespectful. You don't have the right to say such mean things about the Holocaust. a) you weren't part of it b) I believe that your not jewish ,not by the disrepectful way that you talk about this book

Cieraisthesex How old were you when you read this book? If you were over the age of 10 this book isn't even meant for you... It's a softy way of explaining the holocaust to a child their same age. Read a book more age appropriate then complain all you want.

Tammy I don't really like this book, I somewhat agree, and somehow don't. It doesn't mean that someone doesn't like a story and says that they dislike the hero/heroine, which in this case is Annemarie, means that they are sexist, racist or whatever you classify them to be. See? You guys say that this person is a racist, but look at yourself, stare at yourself in the mirror, you are classifying them into categories, isn't it all the same? This person is making bad comments, then so be it. You can dislike all you want, say he is disrespectful, but all you are doing is worthless-people won't change their minds about things that you want them to. If you think he's a jerk, then so be it. People aren't going to change their minds because you want them to. All you have to do is write your OWN review, and make it UNBIASED, show your feelings about the topic rather than force your emotions onto others. And Alex, if you don't like this book then don't read it anymore!

Tammy Nick wrote: "how could you not like the book, the book is very good and like that other lady said it covers a part of the war that is hardly ever touched. Just because its on a jewish girl it makes it bad? this..."
Errr...that is rude you know. I know a Jewish girl in school, and she doesn't really like Number the Stars much, despite her grandparents...Holocaust...yeah.
And you are classifying him as a Jew-hating person, though when reading the review I doubt that you understand what he's talking about-he's just saying that in his opinion, he doesn't really like reading about stories of Holocausts because they often portray Jewish girls as the heroines and so and so. It doesn't mean that he rally hates the Jews...and even if he hates them, I doubt he'd post it online.
No offense.

message 17: by Tammy (last edited Mar 13, 2013 07:45AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tammy Leah wrote: "That is a little bit ignorant don't you think? You don't like the book because the main character is a girl? Go read "The Pianist." It's all about men. Maybe that would be more to your liking..."
Michelle wrote: "Did you not notice it covers a part of the war that is hardly ever touched on...how the danish people managed to save almost their entire jewish population....no other country did that and it isn't covered much. It's not just about a girl skipping through the woods. You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about little girls."
He just doesn't like the story line...Oh god, it's a bit overdone how you people react...Oh god. But I have to admit, it IS one of the most meanest things that I have ever heard...so I think that he should just go and donate the book to a library that has a 'Book Donation' event.

Tammy And...just shut up, Adam. You don't like it, then don't read it. Why did you even buy it then? Why didn't you browse through it first before buying it?

message 19: by Ashatamasha (new) - added it

Ashatamasha No. Just no.

That was very disrespectful. It was made for teaching little kids more about the holocost. Like six graders.

Saying it was bad and to good, just makes you sound stupid, and ignorant.

It was supposed to have happy endings, BECAUSE IT'S A KIDS BOOK!

So I hope this makes you thing better about this wonderful book and don't be so disrespectful.

Bellomy You heard Asha, guys - You better like this book because she does, or else! Because disliking books=stupid, ignorant, and disrespectful.

This was not a very good book. It wasn't awful but the interesting concept was barely touched upon, and it proceeded in the least exciting possible way. In terms of Holocause fiction, this should be near the bottom - it certainly deserves no awards.

message 21: by Rhea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhea In my opinion, it did touch a lot on the holocaust, and I think it does deserve an award.

message 22: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily If you like the subject of WW2, but don't like the Jewish part, read Someone Named Eva. Btw, Eva isn't Jewish.

message 23: by Coni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Coni Mecham Both of my daughters in elementary school have read the book and I decided to because they have. It is a good way to introduce the Holocaust to children. They both liked the book and had good classroom discussions about it.

message 24: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Lehman My 6th grade class loved it, and they are a tough audience!

Katie It's just you.

message 26: by Jaydon (new)

Jaydon I agree with Adam.

Bellomy I think Lois Lowry (and this is going to set some people off) is overrated in general. Her "big two" books are this and "The Giver", but I don't think either is nearly as creative, or interesting, as people like to think.

Neither are BAD - "Number the Stars" is okay and "The Giver" is actually pretty good, though I don't think it's great. The problem with "The Giver" is that it's basically a children's version of "Brave New World", and since it's a children's book it loses a ton of the depth and complexity of Huxley's novel.

Lowry does a good job with what she has and it's a decent book in itself, but it moved slowly, was VERY predictable (How could anybody not know what "release" was?, and ultimately it "Brave New World" did a similar dystopian style world but better.

"Number the Stars" has potentially untapped potential (a book about the Jews and their escape from Denmark is an excellent premise), but the book itself is way too short and doesn't have enough conflict. Like "The Giver" it's highly predictable and I never thought anybody was truly in danger at any time.

This might have worked anyway if the book was longer and we got invested in the characters, but it was tiny and I barely cared. It's a shame. She had a really interesting concept, and she totally blew it on the execution. Definitely not a fan.

Alyssa Ann Walters I freakin' loved this book!! I never realized how many struggles they went through! #surprising #touchofgitterwithasplashofbilinadingding

Paige The book is actually pretty good. You are so ignorant. The people in this citation went through lots if hardship. You are just to selfish to understand what happened. You are lucky that you didn't have to go through that.

message 30: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily @Paige, he's not ignorant, he just doesn't enjoy this book! I'm sure he understands people had hard times. He dislikes this book for other reasons and you shouldn't call him out for it.

Jasmine Thompson I like how you describe the book but the book was really good I would ask my mom if I could bring the book to a party she said no

Adonia How can you say that?! That was a good, strong book and you know it!

Lovergirl111 Well? What do you except. WWII sucked! This book is amazing.

message 34: by Aislinn (new) - added it

Aislinn Lewis-smith I think everyone's getting a little hung up just over one tiny comment. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion and even if it is biased then it doesn't mean their racist or ignorant.

Jonique I think what bothers people so much is an adult rating a CHILDREN'S book so harshly. I mean what do expect I think I read this when I was nine and I loved it. I remember this being a deep read for me at that age. but to judge this book harshly as an adult it ludicrous. it's a kids book and if you can't read it from a child's perspective don't read it.