Andres's Reviews > The Best American Crime Reporting 2008

2207574
Jan 22, 10

bookshelves: anthologies
Read in November, 2009

Like the other anthologies I reviewed (and will review), I find the subject matter very interesting and will highlight the stories that stood out the most to me. One thing I really like about this series (at least with those I've read so far) is the coda added to the end of each piece, which updates or augments the original story. This 2008 edition collects 15 articles from 10 different publications. The stories I liked were:

The House Across the Way by Calvin Trillin
What happens when an undesirable lives in a secluded and tight knit community?

Badges of Dishoner by Pamela Colloff
Border Patrol agents are jailed for misconduct but are hailed as heroes by the public. If regular police on the beat had done this would the reaction have been the same? In the coda the author points out that the only positive responses she got for this story came from Border Patrol agents.

The Tainted Kidney by Charles Graeber
Questions whether someone who has done so much evil can do good---and whether others will let it happen.

The Ploy by Mark Bowden
Interesting look at the interrogators that work in Iraq, especially if all you know is the "Jack Bauer" method of asking questions. This particular story was later written about in this book by the interrogator himself.

Day of the Dead by D.T. Max
"Mini-biography" about the writer Malcolm Lowry and his suspicious death.

Just A Random Female by Nick Schou
The effects of a murder don't stop just because the killer is caught, confesses, and is jailed.

The Serial Killer's Disciple by James Renner
Even with evidence pointing to someone else, a man is blamed for a little girl's murder.

Mercenary by Tom Junod
A man with Keyser Soze abilities.

Murder at 19,000 Feet by Jonathan Green
Tibetan refugees are shot by Chinese soldiers in front of mountain climbers and most everyone does nothing.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best American Crime Reporting 2008.