Phayvanh's Reviews > My Land and My People: The Original Autobiography of His Holiness the Dalai Lama of Tibet

My Land and My People by Dalai Lama XIV

Oct 18, 07

bookshelves: reviews, biography-memoir
Recommended for: all seekers
Read in January, 2006

It's amazing that there are people in the world who have to go through ordeals such as one that the 14th Dalai Lama had to. Exiled since he was 13, but serving his days as a holy man since the day he was born basically, this story, told in his own words, gives a very touching and emotional narrative of his life , leading into exile.

I was very moved by his exile story, how reading it gave me more insight into my own parents' story during the American-Vietnam conflict, and how hard it must have been for them to have left their homeland and the place they loved so dearly. I was filled with great sadness and empathy for him and all victims, direct or indirect, or politcal wars.

This book made me long for another such autobiography, in the years to come, of the Dalai Lama, and his years in exile. I want to hear of his personal story, his life of practice and teaching, so far away from his Tibetan subjects. His outlook, apolitically, of what his future might hold....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Land and My People.