Fred D's Reviews > Wizard's First Rule

Aug 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy
Recommended to Fred D by: Mark Vawdrey
Read from January 01, 2009 to February 03, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I was in the mood to read another epic fantasy series that would blow me away the way LOTR did and the last 2 Harry Potter books did. A friend of mine suggested I try the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

I really liked this book. It didn't exactly blow me away the way the aforementioned books did, but I did really like it a lot. I did really get into it and after a certain point, maybe about halfway through, I found it hard to put down.

One thing I liked about the book is something that others have noted: Characters, especially the good ones, behaved like adults. They made rational decisions, acting for the good of others rather than their own self interest. It was refreshing to see that.

I liked the emphasis on philosophical themes and moral dilemmas. I think that any good literature should to aspire to teach the reader something. When I read a book, I don't want to just be entertained, I'd also like to learn something. I feel Goodkind accomplished that goal. I feel like I learned something from him.

Some have been bothered by Goodkind's apparent belief in moral relativism. I wasn't really bothered by it. His argument that Darken Rahl's & Richard's motivations were morally equal wasn't really convincing. But there was one point that the character Zedd made in one conversation about moral relativism that I felt was absolutely true: Darken Rahl believed that he was right & was doing the right thing. It's important to understand that Rahl believed he was right, because it's always important the understand the motivations of your enemies if you are to defeat them. But whether he really was right or not? Well, of course he wasn't. But that's beside the point.

I didn't give the book 5 stars because, well, though I liked the characters, I didn't find them as endearing as the characters in some other books I've given 5 stars to in the past. Also, that whole long section of the book where Richard was being tortured by the Mord-Sith was quite unpleasant to read and went on for too long in my opinion. I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I liked the climax at the end of the book. It reminded me of the climax at the end of Harry Potter: Deathly Hallows in that the main good guy beats the main bad guy not by being more powerful or what have you, but by outsmarting him. He tricked him. He figured out something the bad guy didn't know and figured out a way to use that knowledge to his advantage to trick the bad guy into making a mistake. Very good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard's First Rule.

12/30/2009 page 150
show 2 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-2)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol Maybe we can trade books...when you are done with this one send it to me and I'll send you the first 2 of Wheel of Time. :)

Fred D Sure! I'll do it. It may be a little while though. It's a big book, & progress is slow as I've been really busy lately. :-)