Ashley's Reviews > When You Reach Me

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: newbery-winners, favorites, blog, own, signed, re-read, audiobook

I reread this book and updated my review on my blog, Books from Bleh to Basically Amazing.

Huh... I don't know what to say about this book. But it was brilliant. Absolutely wonderful. I was late getting back from my lunch break today because I couldn't put the book down, and now I want to curl up with it again to revisit the writing, and read it all again with the ending in my mind from the beginning to make all possible connections, and fully understand what is going on here within the story.

There were a few things that I wish had been expounded on a little more, but overall I think Re Stead did a marvelous job with the story, and I would love to read it again and revisit the ideas and the world that are created within these pages. I wish that there had been a little more depth given to some of the periphery characters and their interactions with Miranda, but overall I thought it was very well done. Marcus has got to be one of my new favorite literary characters. And, I liked parts of him the whole time, but really grew to like him when he finally gave his explanation to Miranda. He just lives by such different rules than most of the world, and I love that. I really liked him. I just feel that he is a very real character, and I really want to get to know him.

This book was fantastic- it left me wanting more of the story, yet it filled all the empty places. I don't know if that makes much sense, other than it was close to perfect. It was everything it needed to be, and I wanted more time with the characters. Simply wonderful. This is a book that is really close to 5 stars, and may very well become 5 stars after a reread. *** Update- I reread it- definitely 5 stars now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Reach Me.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Inoli Not only did I have no problem giving this the fifth star but I also had to add it to my list of favorite books. I'm glad you thought so highly of it. Indeed brilliant.

message 2: by Ronyell (new)

Ronyell This sounds like a really great book!! Great review!!