Jake's Reviews > The Lions of Lucerne

Nov 27, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: did-not-finish
Read in December, 2009

I didn't finish this book because of how it began. I was perfectly fine with it all, excited about the story and such, then Mr. Thor goes off about the LDS church on pages 71 through 78. While it is doubtful that he meant to or not, but I felt like he was taking some jabs at the LDS church. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and I can say that he doesn't have his facts exactly straight. I've read other books where they've mentioned the LDS Church and the authors are not members and it was done tastefully. An example that comes to mind is Jodi Picoult's Change of Heart. On page 144 Scot Harvath, the main character, is supposed to be showing his tact with members of the Church when he doesn't even say the right name of it. He calls it the Church of Latter-day Saints.

Anyways, I may not have explained myself well on this one but, all I know is, I had to put this one down because he had alienated me as a reader. I don't think he put the Church in a good light by making us look like misogynistic, po-dunk idiots who go to church for five hours a week. I am taking from this a lesson that I should do all in my power not to make my readers feel like they are being attacked. I know it's hard to make everyone happy, so...all I have to say is...I'm sure these Scot Harvath books are good, but they are not for me.

Another point...Scot Harvath is nothing special. He seemed too perfect. And he spent the first few chapters in the hospital. Then he does his own thing but it doesn't play off as cool like it should. He seems more like a spoiled kid than anything.

Sorry to all the fans of these books. I'm sure they're great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lions of Lucerne.

Dave Racker I share Jake's opinion of the author's seeming indifference to getting his facts and terminology correct before putting it into a book. He prided himself on the local first hand experiences he had in Utah as an occasional ski vacationer, in yet he messes up on things in at least a half dozen places which goes toward alienating his LDS readers.

I finished the book, enjoyed it and have read others by the same author. Jake, you're going to have to toughen up my friend or avoid general adult fiction all together. There is plenty else to take offense to, if you're inclined, or try harder to let it just shed off your back.

message 2: by Nakoma (new)

Nakoma I really wish that authors would leave anything having to do with Christ alone. As in "Off Limits". I stay away from books where Non-Christian authors bring Christ into their books.