Ann's Reviews > Eat, Pray, Love

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

F 50x66
Nov 27, 09

Read in January, 2006

** spoiler alert ** The book club was reading this book so I was too.

At first, I was frustrated by the author's choice to not start a family because I was a newer mother and loving my new role through all the waking, sleeping and not sleeping so well hours that came with it.

Once I got into the story I thought her opportunity to be paid ahead of time to write a story of a journey that she hadn't experienced sounded like an interesting and exciting job.

While she told her story in Italy I craved Italian food. There was no way that I could find enough or well enough cooked food to equal her description, but it was nice to imagine.

I don't think I would have ventured into the other places, mainly because I don't eat a variety of food and probably would have starved, but I enjoyed listening to her physical and emotional journey.

My favorite aspect of this story was to me it was like spending time chatting or listening to a girlfriend. The author narrates this story and as a new mom it was a chance of "getting out" without ever stepping away from my new responsibilities.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eat, Pray, Love.

Kelley Loved this book! First I loved that she had the guts to take off and try to sort herself out. I also loved the balance in the story with the excess in Italy (I was ready to go and eat there until I needed bigger pants) the stark deprivation of her time at the ashram in India and the balance that seemed to appear when she went to Indonesia. I think they are making a movie of this starring Julia Roberts and it will be interesting to see how it goes.

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Kelley wrote: "Loved this book! First I loved that she had the guts to take off and try to sort herself out. I also loved the balance in the story with the excess in Italy (I was ready to go and eat there until ..."

I was out at Sam's Club and I noticed Elizabeth Gilbert has a new book titled "Committed" with a picture of a wedding band on the cover. hmmmmm

I searched Amazon and found the following information which makes this a potential new read . . .

At the end of her bestselling memoir Eat, Pray, Love, Elizabeth Gilbert fell in love with Felipe, a Brazilian-born man of Australian citizenship who’d been living in Indonesia when they met. Resettling in America, the couple swore eternal fidelity to each other, but also swore to never, ever, under any circumstances get legally married. (Both were survivors of previous horrific divorces. Enough said.) But providence intervened one day in the form of the United States government, which—after unexpectedly detaining Felipe at an American border crossing—gave the couple a choice: they could either get married, or Felipe would never be allowed to enter the country again. Having been effectively sentenced to wed, Gilbert tackled her fears of marriage by delving into this topic completely, trying with all her might to discover through historical research, interviews, and much personal reflection what this stubbornly enduring old institution actually is. Told with Gilbert’s trademark wit, intelligence and compassion, Committed attempts to “turn on all the lights” when it comes to matrimony, frankly examining questions of compatibility, infatuation, fidelity, family tradition, social expectations, divorce risks and humbling responsibilities. Gilbert’s memoir is ultimately a clear-eyed celebration of love with all the complexity and consequence that real love, in the real world, actually entails.

I w

Kelley Sounds interesting. At first, when I saw her new book, I wasn't interested, but then I heard part of an interview with her about this book on Diane Rehm (drshow.org) and it definately peaked my interest.