Christy's Reviews > Carrion Comfort

Nov 29, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: horror, science-fiction-and-fantasy, 20th-century-american-lit
Read in November, 2009

Meh. I have really enjoyed some of Dan Simmons' other books, but this one didn't quite work for me. It is *way* too long, has more characters than is really necessary (I found this really distracting at times), and includes too many action-movie sequences.

The premise is interesting and so are several of the characters, but I had hoped for something that would delve a little deeper into psychology and into the issues he raises early on about violence and humanity. This holds the occasional promise of something more meaningful, but the action sequences and intricate political thriller plotting take precedence over this most of the time, which is too bad, because I think with some severe editing of the action/thriller elements, this could be an exciting *and* emotionally compelling story.

The best thing about this book is in its voice. Simmons tells the story through a variety of characters' perspectives and those characters are distinctive and interesting, even when they are totally unlikable (as many of them are). This isn't able to come through mid-fight or mid-flight very well, but in the chapters where the emphasis is on the characters there is some really good in-character writing.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carrion Comfort.