Kohl Gill's Reviews > Lolita

Nov 27, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: northern-california-digital-library, listened, sf-library
Read from January 22 to 29, 2012 , read count: 1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lolita.

Quotes Kohl Liked

Vladimir Nabokov
“Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.”
Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Benz It's funny, I was just thinking about re-reading Lolita. Amazing book. Nabokov is one of my top 3 favs.

Damn! You read fast. Weren't you just working on War & Peace last week? That would have been my whole 2012.

Kohl Gill I think W&P is still on my list. But yeah, I take public transit and so have lots of time for audiobooks.

Nancy Hirstein Smith This is one book that would not do well on audio book, for exactly the same reason that Bruce Springsteen never sings "I'm on Fire" live anywhere anymore. Just sayin'.

Kohl Gill Nancy Hirstein wrote: "This is one book that would not do well on audio book, for exactly the same reason that Bruce Springsteen never sings "I'm on Fire" live anywhere anymore. Just sayin'."

Even though it was read by Jeremy Irons?