Jason's Reviews > The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth

The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth by Richard Paul Evans

Nov 27, 09

Read in November, 2009

This was an 83 page pamphlet on small pages with large font, and a lot of main points were set off in even larger font. It took me 40 minutes to read. I think more time was put into the dustcover than the writing, what with its gold, glossy tint and statement that it's #1 New York Times Bestselling Author. The main ideas are so distilled that it lacks flavor. Instead, I would have prefered a 2 page executive summary and be done with it.

I'm very critical of this book because, unlike most people, I practice the 5 lessons, and only read it to confirm my lifestyle. If you're the average American, finding money to be an elixer you just can't control when it's in your posession, then I suppose this quick read may do you 83 small pages worth of good. However, I doubt Paul Evans spent enough time profiling life habits to drill his 5 lessons home. I think fiscally irresponsible people need more than the answers; they need it beat over their head with the gory details of financial failure.

This book should have been 5 times as long, and should have exposed in fine detail the patterns, habits, and failures of example families.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Five Lessons a Millionaire Taught Me About Life and Wealth.

message 1: by Dolly (new)

Dolly I have not read this book, but I can echo your frustration with books like this. They seem to offer little concrete help for those who really need it.

I think that Dave Ramsey's book and program (The Total Money Makeover) is perhaps a better way for people to go, especially if they don't know where to start. It offers support, substance and good examples of what to do to get back on track.

I am fortunate in that we learned from the start about the importance of living within our means, saving for the future, and giving back to others. We have been practicing the five lessons since we were first married and have the peace of mind of financial stability to show for it. Now our goal, beyond continuing what we are already doing, is to teach our children these lessons so that they have a solid foundation to grow on.

I wonder if this book attracts people who are already doing the "right" things to reaffirm their own course of action more so than people who truly need help. I find that I read books like this, probably to get an occasional pat on the back.

Jason Yeah, this book required about 75 hours of writing, and most of that was probably cut-n-paste from his other books. It's kind of like a greatest hits album; the music group didn't cut any new music, they simply repackaged the old stuff.

I think people who flip through and pay the $29.99 are either really hurting financially and putting all their faith into 5 putative steps to wealth, or they really can't handle a more instructive, methodical analysis of personal financial management.

I'm like you. I learned this early on, and have a spouse that's willing to live way within our means. She's been a full-time mom for 5 years, so my single income has still afforded us the opportunity to save and invest. My kids are younger, but money management is as essential an adolescent skill as athletics, independent reading, or volunteer work.

Interesting suggestion that folks like us read this to 'reaffirm' our own actions. I guess you're right; otherwise I wouldn't have wasted the 40 minutes:)

message 3: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Excellent book for young adults in order for them to learn the concept of saving. I loved it and gave it to my grandsons.