Alicia's Reviews > Black Stars in a White Night Sky

Black Stars in a White Night Sky by JonArno Lawson

Nov 27, 2009

liked it

I should begin this review by saying that I've never really enjoyed poetry. I've always been a huge fan of Shel Silverstein, but that's about as far as my poetry appreciation goes. When I picked up Black Stars in a White Night Sky I was hoping for something along the lines of Silverstein's witty and humorous prose. The book definitely does not have the humor that I was hoping for, but JoArno Lawson has written some fairly funny gems. Black Stares in a White Night Sky contains 114 poems written by JoArno Lawson, along with some quirky black and white ink illustrations done by Sherwin Tjia.

This collection of poems is more suited to older children (the recommended age range is 9 to 12) as the poems are fairly nonsensical and abstract, and do not contain the rhyming verse that younger children would enjoy. I think that this book would be great for older children who already enjoy poems, and those looking for an introduction to poetry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Stars in a White Night Sky.