K. Bird's Reviews > Scarlett Fever

Scarlett Fever by Maureen Johnson

Nov 26, 09

Read in November, 2009

****I read an ARC of this book***

I jumped into Scarlett Fever without knowing that it was a continuation of Suite Scarlett. However, the story of Suite Scarlett acts more like a deep, detailed backstory for each of the main characters rather than keeping back information a reader needs to enjoy Scarlett Fever.

And I did enjoy Scarlett Fever. Scarlett's family, the Martins, are a wonderful family to read about. I fell in love with all her siblings; her loving, crazy actor brother Spencer, her perfect-on-the-outside sister Lola, and her younger sister who is acting strangely nice to Scarlett all of a sudden.

And then there's the supportive-but-not-a-doormat friend Dakota, insanely eccentric agent-boss Ms. Amberson, a sullen and pouting biology partner, an uptight and obnoxious doorman and a child-actor who needs Scarlett as a friend. Even the agent's dog is hilariously nervous.

The book is chock full of fun people, and although Scarlett's problems aren't life threatening or even clear and defined, they people are so interesting you can't help being swept along by their New York flavored worries about economic status, fame-and-success seeking, and desire for approval.

All the while, Scarlett narrates the story with a witty and engaging personality that is both hopelessly teen (she can't top watching her guy's pizza commercial on youtube) and wise (we get to see her realize how her sister Lola's perfection hides deep insecurities) at the same time.

I would totally recommend this.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlett Fever.