Jeffrey's Reviews > First Lord's Fury

May 31, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, read-in-2009
Recommended for: Butcher fans of the Codex Alera
Read in November, 2009 — I own a copy

I really liked this book and burned through it in one day. Its hard to talk about the novel because it was a conclusion of a six book series in which the earlier books were much better, but all of the story lines were concluded satisfactory.

That being said, I felt that Tavi, who is the focus of most of the story was basically off page for more than half of the book, as the author tried to tie up the loose ends involving some of the other characters. That is a minor quibble. Also some of the inventiveness that we saw from Tavi, was reduced to being part of Bernard's arsenal. As a result it lost some of its immediacy. Another quibble might be that no significant character died although, one of Tavi's friends did get mad at him.

Clearly the confrontation between the Vord Queen, Invidia and Tavi was a big part of the novel, but in some ways it was anticlimatic. We all knew how it would end.

All through the five books, we have been trying to see how Tavi would use his fury, obtain a fury etc. However, the whole concept of his fury was odd and I thought not really as well conceived as I would have liked. Other people have a fury that manifests, but Tavi's fury -- well I do not want to spoil it.

Still in all this was a marvelous fantasy series and Butcher left the door open for future volumes, which I hope will be forthcoming.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Lord's Fury.

11/27/2009 "I am moving through it like a knife through butter"
show 2 hidden updates…