Kristen's Reviews > The Tension of Opposites

The Tension of Opposites by Kristina McBride

Nov 26, 2009

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, romance-y, youngadult
Read from July 18 to 19, 2010

Why I read this: Sara from The Hiding Spot raved about how great this book was, so I had to check it out.

Plot: A very eye-opening look at what happens after trauma - a girl kidnapped and raped for years is found and returns home. Her best friends must deal with having her friend back, but as an almost entirely different person. I loved the struggle between moving on and trying to get back her friend's lost years. Definitely a moving story.

Characters: Tessa is quite the friend - driving away any other friends while her friend was missing. But as Noelle warms up to her again, Tressa seems only concerned with her friend's happiness and not her own.

Tessa's love interest is quite the major hottie. Also, he's quite a realistic character, as he sees that Tessa only cares about her friendship with Noelle when she returns, including when they are together. He shows Tessa that she can't just push her own feelings and life away any time Noelle needs her.

Relatability: I can relate a little to Tessa. I was a bit of a loner in high school for a while and know how that feels. There's definitely a lot the reader can relate to - changing friendship, romance, and finding happiness.

Cover Commentary: Very enticing and really makes you want to pick it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tension of Opposites.