Tom's Reviews > Angels of Destruction

Angels of Destruction by Keith Donohue

Jul 22, 2010

Read from July 12 to 22, 2010

I like this writer's style. Sometimes he's too literate by half. What I mean by that is that he seems to have the need to remind his readers that he has a PhD in English every twenty pages or so. Ok, we get it, now try avoiding words real people in the real world don't really use?

The characters are memorable, particularly Norah and Sean. I worried in places that Donahue had a sort of self-hating misandry going given that most his male characters were either flat, absent, or sinister jerks. He redeemed himself with Sean, though.

You'll love getting lost in this book. There are many short chapters, but they pull you inexorably on to the next chapter. The tension seems to gently guide you through the book, entertaining you without you being too self-conscious about the fact that you're being entertained. I'll have to pick up his first book at some point. I can see myself writing books like this with a few more year's experience, effort, and education. Beautifully done, a delight to read.

Warning: this book, while never trying to turn you on, does acknowledge the existence of sex, as well as the character's positive feelings about it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels of Destruction.