Kasia's Reviews > The Chameleon's Shadow

The Chameleon's Shadow by Minette Walters

Dec 30, 09

bookshelves: mystery-crime-thriller, recommended-by-others, lovely-covers, favorites
Recommended to Kasia by: Seth Ball
Read in December, 2009

Bloody awesome.

Ok not bloody, there's no gore in it, no graphic details. But still awesome.

If you've been looking for a quality follow-up to the Stieg Larsson's Millenium series, something a bit like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and yet highly original - this is it.

Matter of fact style, incredible the psychological depth, keeps you guessing till the very end. For a moment there I was damn convinced my favourite character was the psychokiller. That gave me quite a high. Then you have great cast of characters. There's the female bodybuilder with brains, Quasimodo with a case of bad temper (which I found very twisted but more troubled than evil), Uma Thurman lookalike (that girl's got issues), a homeless duder, and then another one... You've got Iraq, psychiatrists, streets of London. Lesbians, homophobes and pure hatred. There's so much. (And there's much more than this but my lips are sealed, find out on your own.) What's not to like?

Great recommendation, Seth. Much appreciated.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Chameleon's Shadow.

message 1: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Cool! I like Walters a lot but haven't read much by her recently -- this sounds v good.

Kasia It's my first Minette Walters, but I'm sure reading more of her ;)

message 3: by Moira (new)

Moira Russell Kasia wrote: "It's my first Minette Walters, but I'm sure reading more of her ;)"

I've read the Sculptress, Acid Row and The Scold's Bridle I think -- the last was really fantastic.

Kasia Don't you dare say sorry to me! Recommending the right book is not as easy as it seems, and you did a splendid job here. I'm really greatful.

Besides Blink wasn't bad either, it was a little slower and the twist at the end, I was afraid Badenoch might do that. I was hoping she wouldn't go there, but she did. I would rather not now who her parents were, than have it like that, but oh well.

Other than that Blink was good book, more meaty than your typical run of the mill mystery, which I enjoyed immensly.