Emma's Reviews > The Heroin Diaries: A Year In The Life Of A Shattered Rock Star

The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx

Jan 18, 08

bookshelves: memoir-biography, books-i-own, non-fiction
Read in October, 2007

This was really good. I was so glad when it arrived in the mail, I opened the package and I had this beautiful glossy-paged thing in my hands. This book just looks good. Then you actually get down and read it. This book shows Nikki's diary excepts from Christmas Day 1986 to the same day a year later. I'm sure the name makes it obvious that a lot of this book focuses on drugs. In fact, pretty much all of it does. It's easy to see just how meaningful this book could be to other addicts. I'm not an addict, and yet what I found scary was that if that had been me, I'd probably have found myself in the same position as Nikki did. Although I'd probably die long before I reached the 1987 of my life.

It's easy to forget you're reading about a rockstar in one of the world's biggest rock bands, traveling the world, meeting millions of fans etc. etc. Nikki just comes across as such a real dude. Unfortunately he doesn't reveal how he managed to juggle being a junkie and maintaining that impressive hairdo. Oh yes, and Slash is in it! He, err...used to get so drunk he'd piss the bed. Apart from the fact that GN'R toured with Motley that year, that's the main reason that he's in there. To say that Nikki's spare bedroom smelled of pee because of him. Umm...awww?

In short, you should definitely pick this book up. Especially if you love rock n' roll. Or just if you love shiny shiny books. Don't forget to get the soundtrack too!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heroin Diaries.