Kathryn's Reviews > Desolation Jones: Made in England

Desolation Jones by Warren Ellis

Nov 26, 09

bookshelves: graphic-novel-manga
Read in November, 2009

AMAZING art. Panels that I just stared at and constantly flipped back to, especially the action scenes. So beautiful.

Loved the charaters. Jones reminds me of some of my favorite characters from Hellblazer, Fell, ... others with intense and strong male charaters, though Jones is probably the craziest I've read. He's a bad guy, no question about it. The reader feels sympathy for this bad man because other bad men have hurt him. That sympathy doesn't go away just because the reader discovers some of the bad tings that Jones did in his life.

I also loved Jones' visions (more beautiful art) and his backstory was great, extremely frightening, and full of potential for further original story lines.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desolation Jones.

11/26/2009 "Excellent art, better than the writing, though the writing so far is still good."
11/26/2009 "Damn thing made me cry. I'm such a sap. This is really good."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Hmm. I might have look into this one.

message 2: by new_user (last edited Nov 26, 2009 06:31PM) (new)

new_user Wow, this sounds great! Glad you put this on your list. :) I'm so easily seduced by good art. Here's hoping the writing's good too.

Kathryn Yes, the writing was very good too, but it's the art that's really staying with me. I hope you guys like this. It was a nice mix of weird, mystery, and shoot-em-up action.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Okay. Sounding even better to me.

message 5: by new_user (new)

new_user The other reviews make it sound like it was social commentary too. Do you think so or was that pretty minor/unnoticeable?

Kathryn Yes, the social commentary was a large part of the story too. Hah, I guess an interesting package all around! :)

message 7: by new_user (new)

new_user Great! Looking forward to it now. I'm always looking for something like that. It's hard to find.

Kathryn It is hard to find! I just hope they keep writing this series. And I guess it's based on The Big Sleep, which I've never heard of.

message 9: by Kathryn (last edited Nov 26, 2009 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathryn If I were rich, I'd have the coolest collection... http://www.jhwilliams3.com/display.php

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user Hm, that's interesting. I haven't read it, but I've heard of the author. I'm not a big fan of the detective story, but I hear he's a staple of the genre.

message 11: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, I didn't see the link! That is some amazing art! I love that precision and realism. Really hope the comic's good now!