Laren's Reviews > Evil at Heart

Evil at Heart by Chelsea Cain

Nov 28, 09

bookshelves: mysteries
Read in November, 2009

This is the third book in a series about serial killer Gretchen Lowell. She infiltrated the police on her own case in the first book, and one detective named Archie developed such an obsession with her that it cost him several severe scars, his family, and even his sanity by the end of the second book. In this book, Gretchen is still at large, and society has turned her into more of a celebrity than a feared killer. She even has a fan club that celebrates her gruesome work. Then bodies start turning up with her signature once again, forcing that detective back on the case. Has she really stayed in the area all this time, or is a copycat finding a new way to pay tribute to her? More importantly, is Archie truly free of her spell now?

This author's books are not for the faint of heart, as the things she dreams up for her characters are horrible and graphic. But that aside, I enjoyed this book most in the series thus far. For me, this is largely because Archie is a more sympathetic character (meaning that I didn't want to slap him silly during the entire book this time). Also, this is more plot driven and less about the shock value contained in the previous books.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evil at Heart.