Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Impossible

Impossible by Nancy Werlin

Mar 13, 10

bookshelves: fantasy, fairy-tale, modern, romance, supernatural, young-adult, belton, retelling, mythology-celtic
Read from March 11 to 12, 2010

At first, I was disappointed that the book was set in modern times. When I originally chose it, I thought that it was set in medieval times in Great Britain. Fortunately, this story fit well in modern times. Because it is directed towards older teens instead of adults, the rape scene isn't nearly as graphic as it could be though it is startling. Zach and Lucy's honeymoon activities are also only implied and mentioned instead of detailed. There is very little language and the only violence is the rape. I was literally frightened when Lucy faced Padraig the second time, but I was also pissed at how smug he was about torturing generations of women because one woman spurned his affections centuries ago. I felt the romance between Zach and Lucy could have been a little more developed. It was made clear that they loved each other, which might have arisen from being lifetime friends, but his confession and proposal both came rather suddenly to me. Also, even with all the difficulty from the curse, the story made teenage pregnancy a rather rosy prospect in my opinion. Lucy talks about struggling in physics and laments that Zach gives up college for a year to support her, but that seemed to be the extent of their non-magical problems. All in all, I was sucked in by this book, but was not completely impressed by the way some of the issues were presented. I did like that love conquered all in the end though.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Impossible.