Garrett's Reviews > Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder

Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder by Obert Skye

Nov 25, 09

Read in November, 2009

Fun read and nice ending to the series (although it looks like there'll be another series starting in the same story universe).

My only real problem is that it has been awhile since I read the previous one and I had a bit of trouble figuring out who certain people were and what had previously happened. Maybe I'm too used to reading the Wheel of Time (or, pretty much any fantasy series) where things are reiterated in each subsequent installment.

Setting: We get to explore the island of Alder and a big hole in the middle of New Mexico. Alder wasn't as weird as some other places in Foo, but it did have an interesting tree. I'm not sure how that tree and the one that was Geth are related though, even that seemed to be important.

Plot: Leven has to save Foo by visiting the Tree in the ruins of Alder as he confronts some unfinished business. There are also some sub-plots like the budding love with Winter, the stories of Tim and Janet, and the anger of Ezra. So, I thought Obert did well with wrapping everything up, including the sub-plots.

Conflict: Leven mainly has to confront his past. Geth and Winter have to get to his old stump and deal with Ezra and the Dearth. Geth and Winter's conflict was great and suspenseful. Leven's seemed a bit too easy (at least until they get to the tree).

Character: I really liked Winter and Geth and even Ezra. Clover made me laugh a few times, too. I think the reason I didn't like Leven had to do with the conflict part and with his abundance of powers.

Text: Would have liked more reminders of what happened in earlier books, but I found it interesting that Obert had some pretty good metaphors. In fact, better than a Literary novel I recently read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Leven Thumps and the Ruins of Alder.