Barbara's Reviews > Executive Orders

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

203163
Jan 17, 10

Read in January, 2010

I found this a gripping read. Even though it took me nearly two months to finish, I kept steadily making progress. Remember, we had holidays in there, too!

This book made some news in 2001 when the World Trade Center was attacked by crashing airliners into it. Why? Because it was written in 1996 and its opening setup involves an airliner being suicide crashed into the US Capitol during a joint session of congress.

This was just a plot point, to set things up for the non-politician protagonist to unexpectedly become President and to get the tension going. After that it takes a sharp left turn from how history actually came down, and it is a little surreal reading it now. Like an alternate history involving some of the same countries, but in different fictional roles.

I've avoided the book up until now, although it's been sitting on my shelf for a while, because 9/11 was too fresh in my mind, but that part is so minor, don't let it stop you from reading if you like political / historical / military genre.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Executive Orders.

11/25/2009 page 24
2.74% "It took me a long time to even start on this one, given the events of 2001."
12/15/2009 page 150
17.14% "Slow progress, but I'm making it."
01/01/2010 page 356
40.69% "Continued slow progress, but I'm hooked on the story by now."
show 1 hidden update…