Ailsa's Reviews > Nightwalker

Nightwalker by Jocelynn Drake

Nov 26, 09

Read in February, 2009

I’ve lent my copy of Nightwalker to a friend at the moment, so I hope this review is still ok!

Nightwalker begins with Mira stalking Danaus through Savana, her city. You see straight away how skilled a hunter she is, and her feisty personality come through very strongly. Very quickly, Mira is forced to postpone Danaus’s death and trust him as he shows her an enemy from her past who she thought was long dead. The feared Naturi are back. Mira and Danaus must head to Egypt to warn vampires & others alike, all the while wondering whether they can trust each other.

It’s very interesting to see how being around Mira is forcing Danaus to reconsider his notions of vampires, and his agenda against them. Mira, too, is changed by being around the hunter. I loved all the interactions between them – one moment bickering, the next fighting back-to-back. It was great to have such strong characters.

Another thing that I really liked about this book was that the two main characters didn’t jump in to bed with each and fall madly in love. It’s something that really annoys me in a lot of books – characters who’ve known each other for less than a week deciding that they want to spend the rest of their lives together. There is some chemistry between Danaus and Mira, but I liked that the author doesn’t just disregard all the mistrust and stereotypes that they are carrying around with them, in the week that ‘Nightwalker’ lasts.

The plot was excellent, it pulled me in right away and didn’t let go. The ending was maybe a little abrupt, but the second book, ‘Dayhunter’, picks up right where ‘Nightwalker’ leaves off.

‘Nightwalker’ is also a lot darker than many vampire novels these days – there is a lot of fighting, and never much rest for Mira.

I’d strongly recommend this book, and the third book in the series came out in September
(First posted by me to The Book Bundle
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightwalker.