Lucy's Reviews > Angle of Repose

Angle of Repose by Wallace Stegner

Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: every single person who breathes
Read in September, 2011

I loved this book even more the second time around. In my opinion, this is the perfect novel. I don't have the expertise to identify the exact narration technique, but to have the narrator, Lyman Ward, not only share his beloved grandparent's 100 year-old history from his 20th century perch, providing both redemptive hindsight and worrisome foreshadowing when needed, but also his own story as an amputee with a debilitating bone disease bitterly protecting his lonely independence, furnishing the relevance and motive, is brilliant. I know many other authors must also do this. It's probably considered common by those in the know within the world of literature. However, I read a lot of novels and I can't think of a single book I've ever read that has done it better than Wallace Stegner in Angle of Repose.

Angle of Repose dramatizes the life of Susan Burling Ward, a talented illustrator raised in an Eastern Quaker home, and her marriage to Oliver Ward, a kind, intelligent but tragically unlucky engineer trying to make a name for himself in the West. Through Susan and Oliver's first fourteen years together, the reader travels to mining camps in California, Colorado and Mexico, and eventually to pre-Statehood Idaho, painting an absolute masterpiece of American West history. Although Lyman Ward is a fictional character in a fictional novel, his passionate defense of the importance of history, could and should be well quoted by actual scholars in the field. Even his short but wonderfully persuadable argument against communal economics and relationships should be studied. They are that profound.

But, as the narrator states, this is really a story about marriage. What allows certain couples, who universally tumble down life's uncertain slope together, to reach a point where the tumbling stops? For rocks and debris in the engineering realm, it's called the angle of repose. There is an eventual stillness, for good or for bad, when the motion or hurt or progress or momentum stops. Perhaps it is balance and harmony. Or, perhaps it is staleness, stubbornness and unrelenting grudges. I'm sure the meaning of "angle of repose" could be presented either way. I lean towards the calm, comfortable stability definition but maybe the stationary rocks aren't content with their quiet.

I hope to return to this novel again and again. It's not a happy one. In many ways, there is a melancholy post-reading that I still can't shake. But, there is also a beauty in words, thoughts and vivid description that makes me clap for joy. I love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angle of Repose.

08/29/2011 "Need to re-read one of my favorites." 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle One of my all-time favorites!

Lucy Mine too.

Lynne Stegner is brilliant. I am going to re-read this now, it's been too long.

message 4: by Molly (new) - added it

Molly Jae I think that Stegner has incredible insight in to human nature. Every time I read this book I see it from a different perspective that changes as I age, mature, am hurt, in love, etc. How he can write of all of this is beyond me. He is truly one of my favorite authors. I think it is so easy to find ourselves in the characters of the book and yet each time I read it, I relate to someone new.

The way he writes of the West, reminds me that I would never want to live anywhere else.

I think this is a must read for everyone, every decade of their life.

Bobbi I'm so glad all you appreciate this book as much as I did. I think it's one of the all time great ones. It's too bad that people thought of him as a "western" writer. I don't think he got the recognition that he deserved. I just read "The Big Rock Candy Mountain", his semiautobiographical novel. Wonderful. He had a tough life.