Paul Hollis's Reviews > Executive Orders

Executive Orders by Tom Clancy

Dec 18, 09

bookshelves: thriller, 2009
Read in December, 2009

1358 pages yes 1358 of Tom Clancy and now the nightmare is finally over!!
This book took me a year to read, not because of its length but because it's incredibly boring for loooong stretches, I would set it aside for months at a time.
The beginning was good and the ending (the last 300 pages was gripping) but to get there you have to get through a 1000 pages of of the main character Jack Ryan, now president, whining and complaning about being president and the political process(if there was ever any doubt where Clancy stands, he makes it pretty obvious). Every few pages Ryan complains about the bad day he's had blah blah blah and bums smokes from people(come'on he's the pres somebody buy him a pack already!!)
Clancy threw in everything but the kitchen sink in this book, it's just too much.
This book is a perfect example of what is wrong with book publishing in the past decade. Editors (remember them?) are now afraid to say no to the big brand name authors and let them get away with some horrendus decisions. This book could easily have been cut in half and nothing missed. Or better yet made in 2 books.
13 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Executive Orders.

11/25/2009 page 965
show 9 hidden updates…

message 1: by Bong (new) - added it

Bong i agree with your comment. i think no book can sustain the interest continuously and there would always be dead moments. i do fast scanning of the story whenever the action slows down, just getting the essence, and then try to catch up with the heat of the action. it took me only a week to finish this book. i would say this is a good book and it would be worth reading if you had started with the very first series containing jack ryan.

message 2: by Brad (new)

Brad I think any book, even a 1000+ page beast, would get one star from me if it took a year. Yikes.

Shaft Tom Clancy books only really start in the final 1/4 if you got to #8 surely you realise this.

message 4: by Eric (new) - added it

Eric Oteng this book contains many irrelevant paragraphs. Still a good book tho'

Gideon Shaked I agree. I have just started the 1355 page book and the beginning is good though I bet you are right.

message 7: by Harsha (new)

Harsha I agree. Initially, I had to give up after a few hundred pages, but after i changed my reading habits - skipping the fillers and focusing on the characters who really interested me, this novel actually became good

In short, take this book as a market - take what you want and leave the rest behind

Michell Hear! Hear! It didn't take me a year to read this thing mainly because after a while I took to skipping 5-6 pages at a time when Clancy would go off expounding on things as if he expected his readers to take this tome as the comprehensive textbook on government, infectious disease and philosophy from every angle imaginable. All the while with zero forward movement to any of the million sub-stories. :P And I don't get why he felt the need to endow every single character with all sorts of motives and backstories... It'd be fine if there are 3-4 characters for the readers to care about, but when the number gets beyond 8, it behooves the editors to talk some senses into the writer. This book can easily lose half its size and still tell the same stories just fine. :P

Psychodr1 I totally agree. I was so sick of him spouting his right ring politics throughout the book while claiming in the book that he was an independent who just was using common sense. He portrayed anyone with an opposing political view as self-serving and ignorant of the constitution. A terrible book with so many boring parts.

Geoffrey Wilton Yes, Clancy does expound quite a bit, but what I find so interesting about all of his books, is that they're all in the shape of a large funnel, leading his readers to one, or just a few endings. And he pulls it off with technical knowledge from many different sources.