AdultFiction Teton County Library's Reviews > The Lowland

bookshelves: historical-fiction, literary-fiction
Read in June, 2014

TCL Call #: F Lahiri J
Diana's rating: 5 stars

Two brothers grow up almost as twins in Calcutta and then go their separate ways, but are never truly separated. I can only describe this book as lovingly-written....the author has such affection for her characters and the minute details of their existence, taking you by the hand and making you love them too. At one point, I was so disappointed in something one of the characters did that I put the book down for a couple of weeks, thinking the best of it had passed, but luckily picked it up again and was rewarded with a hugely bittersweet ending.

Marisa's rating: 4 stars

I tried to read this a few months ago and couldn't get into it. When I told my co-workers my difficulty with "The Lowland" they were astonished. Now I know why. This book is quietly powerful bold story of two brothers as their lives diverge. I have read most of Lahiri's other books and I find, personally, her strength is in the quiet moments her characters display. While I can't deny that I read the last 50 pages of this book like it was a thriller, excited to see how Lahiri would answer some of the plot questions, I was most impressed by her ability to see the characters (especially Subhash and Gauri) in their stillness, with their thoughts, regrets, examinations and nostalgia. Beautifully sad and considerate, I highly recommend to any reader who loves character development and the feeling of truly being able to smell and feel the worlds and author creates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lowland.

12/13 marked as: to-read