Amanda's Reviews > Thorn in My Heart

Thorn in My Heart by Liz Curtis Higgs

May 31, 12

bookshelves: christianfiction, historical-fiction
Read from May 10 to 15, 2012

The first book in this series is an interesting and approach to the story of Jacob, Rachel and Leah found in Genisis. Most of the story stayed true to the original, except for what needed to be changed in order to comply with the setting of 1700's Scotland.

The description of the lowloands of Scotland were beautiful. Her writing and use of the gaelic language was outstanding.

The book starts out slightly slow but towards the middle you find a hard time putting the book down. This continues into the second and third installements of the series.

My sympathies will always lie with Leana, she truly was a woman with a thorn in her heart. It was gut wrenching in parts because you feel so much sympathy for her circumstances, but it is nothing compared to how the next two books make you feel.

Rose is a spoiled child who doesn't generate much sympathy. Her selfishness is unfair to her sister on many occassion and yet Leana is always there offering forgiveness. Leana's gentle heart and loving manner is what draws me to these books. Hoenstly, Jamie should have taken a lot more of the blame for what happened.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thorn in My Heart.