Gaijinmama's Reviews > His Majesty's Dragon

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik

Sep 26, 12

bookshelves: bees, fantasy
Read from September 19 to 26, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Majesty's Dragon.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette I started this one, twice, and couldn't get into it. I just gave up on it this week. I look forward to your review.

Gaijinmama It's starts out a little slow, but after the dragon hatches, it really picks up. I think this is a fascinating take on dragons, and Temeraire is a really well-written character. Plus, I am no expert but I feel as though the author did her homework on European military history.

message 3: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette I got as far as their training together, about 1/3 of the way in. It did remind me of books like Master and Commander.

message 4: by Hayes (last edited Sep 21, 2012 09:41PM) (new)

Hayes Hey there, Gaijinmama!
Sorry you didn't like it Jeannette. I thought it was fun, but not brilliant, the beginning more fun than the end.

Gaijinmama Hiya Hayes! Thanks for popping in.
Master and Commander....the movie bored the bejeezus out of me, sorry to say, even though my man Billy Boyd (a.k.a. PIppin from LOTR) is in it.

message 6: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I didn't like the book of M&C, haven't seen the movie. Billy Boyd... *wanders over to the search engine*

message 7: by Hayes (new)

Hayes

Whadja do ta yer hair!

Gaijinmama Yeah, that's him.
They cut most of his scenes out of Master and Commander, though.
And Russell Crowe just annoys me. I do not find him even slightly hot.

I've had several people tell me the book is much better.

message 9: by Jeannette (new)

Jeannette My husband has read the entire 20 book series, twice, and he loves the movie! Billy Boyd was a bit miscast, unfortunately, but Crowe and Bettany were perfect in their roles. The movie is a mash-up of several books. The first book was good, and if I liked reading about sea battles more than I do, I would attempt a few more. As it is, my husband has read out the good bits of all the books to me, so I know the how the story progresses.