Gitte's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

Nov 25, 2009

bookshelves: favorites, dystopia, 2009, canadian, written-in-2000s, sci-fi, female-author, read-more-than-once, 2016
Read from April 10 to July 08, 2016

Jimmy, aka Snowman, appears to be the last man on earth after an epidemic has wiped out the human race. At the beginning, we find him in a very depressed state. He is malnourished, unkempt, lonely and on the verge of going mad. His only companions are some strange humanoid creatures whom he guides and protects. Slowly we dive into Snowman's story. We hear about the time he was a boy named Jimmy, about his friendship with Crake and love for Oryx. We hear about a bizarre future, scientists playing God, a man-made doom and strange genetically engineered animals.

“All it takes,” said Crake, “is the elimination of one generation. One generation of anything. Beetles, trees, microbes, scientists, speakers of French, whatever. Break the link in time between one generation and the next, and it’s game over forever.”

'Oryx and Crake' is an amazing story. Atwood has created a fascinating future that is not so far from our society. In addition, we dive into the characters, hear their story with a good dash of humour. Especially the 'Crakers' (the humanoids) made me laugh out loud several times.

Atwood is a great storyteller. Her writing style is simple and straightforward; her stories are almost always entertaining, and her characters deep and complex. There are no scraps and virtually no two-dimensional individuals. This is the second time I read 'Oryx and Crake'. Now I'm looking forward to the TV show!

He doesn’t know which is worse, a past he can’t regain or a present that will destroy him if he looks at it too clearly. Then there’s the future. Sheer vertigo.

My blog: The Bookworm's Closet

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.

04/10/2016 marked as: read