Lolly's Library's Reviews > Nevermore

Nevermore by Keith R.A. DeCandido

Nov 24, 2009

bookshelves: media-tie-in, contemporary-fantasy
Read in November, 2009

Supernatural: Nevermore is my first foray into the world of the Supernatural tie-in novels. I'd been wanting to read one of the books for some time and by a lucky happenstance, I found this title at my library. The fact that it's the first of the tie-in novels was an added bit of serendipity. I have to say, I'm mighty pleased with the book. In my opinion, the author really nailed the voices and characterizations of Sam and Dean. Throughout the book, the dialogue and rapport between the two were so vivid, I could actually visualize Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki acting the scenes out. And while the storyline wasn't as action-packed as one of the t.v. episodes, it had enough to keep the pace going. For the most part, as I read the book, it played in my mind as though it were a lost episode of the show...maybe not one of the better episodes, but I could still see it. The nice addition was that we were able to see the action from the perspective of the other characters, including a ghost, something which the time constraints of a television show doesn't allow. The other nice touch was when the author, and I'm almost postive I'm right about this, gave a tip of his hat to Jim Butcher's Dresden Files when he mentioned a female cop, named Murphy, in Chicago, who happens to be part of the inner circle in on the secret world of the paranormal. And I loved the little dig about CSI and how there were better things to watch on Thursday nights. Not that I don't like CSI, but it still made me chuckle.

The biggest downfall on the author's part is his tendency to over-describe. For example: Dean pulled the gearshift down to R and said, "Let's move out." He backed out of the parking spot, then brought it down to D and sent them out onto the open road. Wow. Do I really need to have the procedure for pulling out of a motel parking lot described in such detail? No. All he needed to do was write: "Let's move out," Dean said, as he maneuvered the car out of the parking lot and sent them out onto the open road. From 33 words down to 23. I'm sorry, but unless the detail so lovingly overemphasized has a bearing on the upcoming scene/action or drives the story along, which in 99.99% of this book it doesn't, then it's totally unnecessary. Detail isn't action, action is action.

However, when all is said and done, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am looking forward to reading more.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

11/24/2009 page 29

graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst) You're not kidding about the author's (extremely) detailed descriptions! Although on the bright side, it cleared up how to work a recliner (apparently it's some kind of chair where a footstool-thing comes up that's attached to said chair!). Just the other day, I was gazing upon one of these very contraptions in utter bewilderment -- I just could not figure the darned thing out. Now I do. Thank you, Mister Author, sir. ;D Sarcasm aside, it was a decent little book, even if I did get glassy-eyed at the description overkill, New York and its streets in particular. :)

Lolly's Library I know. I have one of those danged chairs in my house, too, and it was thanks to the helpful advice from the author that I finally learned how to work the consarned contraption! LOL Yeah, the description overkill did hamper my enjoyment of the book and the example I used in my review, Dean and Sam pulling out of the parking lot, really irked me the most, which is why I used it, although I'm sure, recliner-execution aside, there were plenty of other examples I could've chosen to highlight. It makes you wonder exactly where the editor was during the crucial paring-down portion of the writing process. If I were to re-read it, I'd probably edit my review down to 3.5 stars. But since I've got plenty of other things to read, that's not likely to happen. ;P

graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst) LOL The recliner example stuck out at me the most because it was so ridiculous. Although he went on and on ad nauseum about New York (the Bronx, I think) that I just glazed it was so boring. Do you remember the constant coffee? LOL Sometimes the editor just can't do anything, it isn't like they have the final say a lot of the time. At least, from what I've heard. Yeah, it's not a four for me because I read the second book first and it was definitely better than this one. The action was kept at a nice pace, it wasn't overly detailed, and from what I remember, it was pretty creepy, which this book lacked. This ain't a re-read type of book anyway. :)

Lolly's Library I think the recliner just blended into the mass of over-explanation for me, which is why I didn't pick on it in my review. But I do remember it's ridiculousness. Recall I read this book back in Nov. of '09, so the details are fuzzy for me; I vaguely remember lots of coffee, but the New York enthusiasm is less clear. Well, that's just silly, what else is an editor for if not the person who has the final say over a finished draft of a book? The second book, that's Witch's Canyon, right? I've got that one and Bone Key sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read...one of these decades. :P I have to say, Keith R.A. Candido can be rather hit-and-miss with his tie-in novels; he wrote the Serenity tie-in I just read, which was okay, but not fantastic. He didn't really deviate from the screenplay or add any back-story. Yet he seems to be the most popular tie-in novelist, for some reason. :/

graveyardgremlin (formerly faeriemyst) Nah, I couldn't recall, I didn't even think to look at the date. LOL The author. Although I'm sure it depends on publishers, how famous (and how great they think they are) the author is, or something that sets the book apart from the rest. All I know is I've read editors' remarks where the author refused to take out passages or something and they couldn't do anything about it. Now, I'm not saying that's the norm but it's more than possible and editors get the full blame every time. Yes, it's Witch's Canyon. I pondered getting Bone Key but thought I had enough from the library for the time being. :) This is my first DeCandido book, so I wouldn't know if he's overall good or not. I've also seen a lot of tie-ins with Jeff Mariotte, Christopher Golden, and Nancy Holder as authors.

Lolly's Library I see, you just assumed my magical memory would remember all those little details. Boy, were you wrong! ;D I don't know, it just doesn't sound right. I know authors have quite a bit of say over their work, but, and especially in this genre, I would think those that own the franchise and the editors that work with them would have more power over the finished product than the authors. I don't know. I'm sure Bone Key will be there whenever or if ever you get in the mood to read it...unless somebody steals it (the one downfall of getting reading material from the library--stupid crooks, they ruin it for everyone >{). I don't think I've read Mariotte yet, but I have read Christopher Golden, just not any of his tie-in titles, and Holder is also unfamiliar to me. Then again, I haven't read very much in the tie-in novel world, so I'm sure many of those authors will be unfamiliar to me.