CV Rick's Reviews > Franklin and Winston: An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship

Franklin and Winston by Jon Meacham

2025389
Dec 03, 09

bookshelves: history
Read in November, 2009

I know a lot of people liked this book, but I found it lacking in many areas. For one the narrative is repetitious to the point of tedium. Over and over again we are told, rather than shown, that these two men, Franklin and Churchill admire and respect each other but that every element of this partnership is tinged with self-interest, or in their case the interest of their respective nations.

The books starts by jumping around through time and the author seems to be taking clippings from various sources and throwing them together to support preconception after preconception. There was definitely a thesis to the work, and the author never strays from thesis to discovery. Maybe it's just that I've read and studied too much about these two men previously to find anything new in this volume, but there isn't any new revelations or original arguments.

I just want the time back.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Franklin and Winston.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Another reason to hate Jon Meacham.