Annalisa's Reviews > The Prince of Tides

Nov 30, 09

bookshelves: classics, psychology
Recommended to Annalisa by: Traci
Read from November 22 to 29, 2009

It takes a while to develop and the subject matter is depressing and dark, but I found myself connected to the main character, wanting to both hug and hit him. An excellent portrayal of someone who is broken and not easily fixed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince of Tides.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lucy I just finished this last night!

message 2: by Annalisa (last edited Nov 24, 2009 07:15PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Annalisa Funny :). A friend of mine gave it to me last week and said 'you have to read this.' I've never seen the movie and had no idea what it was about.

Lucy It's really good writing. I was surprised. The author really uses language well. It's also extremely violent with tons of language. So...have fun with that:)

Annalisa :). I've noticed.

message 5: by Cami (new)

Cami But were you able to banish the Barbara image out of your mind?

Annalisa I haven't seen the movie, but the cover did have her on it. Yuck. Have you read this? There's a pretty graphic scene in it that I'm trying to wipe out of my images.

message 7: by Cami (new)

Cami No, I haven't because I seen enough of the movie that I would really be bothered by Nick Nolte and Babs in my head the whole time.

Annalisa I can only imagine. Luckily the characters aren't anything like them (the character in the book is described as very good looking, not going to imagine Barb there) so it wasn't hard to describe someone totally different. I pictured the stern-looking, thick-necked author more than Nick Nolte.

Jessietaylortanner One of my favorite favorite books! Read it as a teenager and reread it earlier this year-apropos since I am now a Carolinian. :)

Annalisa I read a blog post about how the most important thing a book can do for its reader is make it feel emotionally connected to the main character. He definitely succeeds with this one.