Katie's Reviews > Nevermore

1928123
Nov 24, 2009

bookshelves: own, favorite, signed
Read from August 26 to 28, 2010

Nevermore is Kelly Creagh's debut novel but you can't tell by reading it. My god, it was awesome! I can't stop thinking about it and it's killing me to know that I have to wait another year for the sequel.

Isobel Lanley is not happy to be paired up with resident goth, Varen Nethers, for her english project. The only reason she is willing to put up with him is because she needs the grade for cheerleading. At first she can't stand him but as they get deeper into their project she begins to enjoy their time together. Too bad the dreams she is having make it seem like they don't have much time left. What is Varen hiding?

Isobel and Varen were nothing like what I expected. I loved them both. I figured Isobel would be an annoyingly stuck-up cheerleader and at first she was but it didn't take long for her to show her true colors. She was brave, funny, witty, and just an overall good person. Varen took a little longer to get to know but he was great. I didn't expect to like Varen a whole lot because of how dark and goth he was but I did. In fact, I found him amazingly hot! He was an odd kid, that's for sure, but in the best possible way. He just had some issues and this first book only began to touch on those. I can't wait to find out more about all the characters!

While the characters were fabulous it was the actual story that drew me in. The Edgar Allan Poe history was fascinating and added a whole new layer to the book. I didn't understand what it had to do with the story at first but it became clear at the end when part of the mystery was uncovered. Sadly, only some of my questions were answered but I don't doubt that they will be addressed in the next book.

Overall, Nevermore has earned a permanent place on my all-time favorites list. It's full of mystery, suspense, romance, history, and creepy creatures. I am eagerly awaiting the sequel and until then I will spend my time recommending this one to everybody! =]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nevermore.

08/27/2010 page 120