Steve's Reviews > Nobody Move

Nobody Move by Denis Johnson

Nov 27, 09

bookshelves: crime-badness-noir, fiction
Read in November, 2009

A lean little crime novel, that I'm giving 5 stars (genre rating). No big messages here (though I toyed with the idea that Johnson was saying something regarding Mercy, but then backed away from that, since such pondering messes with the mean fun of the novel). It is what it is. A cast of (well drawn) losers, all hooking for the big score. Not one ounce of fat, and great dialogue throughout. It reminded me a lot of a really good Leonard novel. Anita Desilvera is a great character (with some of the best lines), and one I wouldn't mind seeing again in a future novel, though I doubt that's going to happen, since Nobody Move reads like a one and (wonderfully) done effort.
4 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Move.

Matthew I keep waiting for this to come out in paperback or find a used copy, even though I have looked at the great paintings under that bullethole dustjacket and coveted it. I loved his other detective novel "Resuscitation of a Hanged Man" and I find it very cool that this was originally serialized in Playboy.

Steve This is reading really well. I love the dialogue, which is as snappy as anything by Leonard (at his best). I didn't know about the Hanged Man, and will definitely check that one out. I got this one at the library, and just peeked underneath the cover yesterday. It's pretty cool as cover art goes. A lot of times I've found you can get the hard cover dirt cheap right, via Amazon's used books (usually as a never-been-read remainder), around the time it goes to paperback.

Adam Already Dead is also a noir.I recommend that and Hanged Man though both are weirder,(in a Lynch or Kafka way), messier, and more literary than Nobody Move.