Joshua's Reviews > Allegiance

Allegiance by Timothy Zahn

Jan 10, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, space-opera
Read in November, 2009

While Zahn's Allegiance is not, from my perspective, a bad book—it's reasonably well written, with fascinating stories revolving around a group of Stormtroopers, Mara Jade, and Han/Luke/Leia/Chewie—I do think it is a forgettable one: apparently, I had read this book not long after getting it and, since then, promptly forget having done so; this was a fact I did not discover until about 60 pages into a second reading. Given that the book is only two/three years old (at time of this writing in late 2009), that does not bode well for its bearing as a great book.

Nevertheless, Allegiance is a quick, fun read about duty and loyalty, although there are some particulars that do seem odd; for instance, knowing little else about Mara Jade, Zahn's description of her—specifically, about how she interfaces with and utilizes the Force—seem rather shallow and uncritical. For all intents and purposes, Jade seems to have a major blind spot towards both the Dark Side of the Force and just how evil Vader and Palpatine actually are. Perhaps this is in keeping with prior continuity of the character in the extended universe, but it just seems rather false in comparison to other characters important to the series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiance.