Nicole's Reviews > Never Let Me Go

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Well-written and hauntingly creepy.

Since reading a review of the movie that has come out based on this book, I keep thinking back to scenes from "Never Let Me Go" that continue to leave me with a feeling of not-quite-rightness. I'm curious if the movie version managed to capture what Ishiguro manages so brilliantly in this novel as well as "When We Were Orphans", which is a feeling of purposeful lack of depth. Between the two narrators of those books and their inner selves is an opaque sheet of glass which is accepted by the two as simply the way life is. This paradox of vivid dullness is heightened in "Never Let Me Go" due to the nature of the character's origins. The feeling one of the teachers in the book has of repulsed sympathy for the children under her care echos throughout the book as you try to find a place to attach yourself to the protagonists, but fail to reach that point. How can that complex and subtle vapidity that comes across so profoundly in the book be duplicated in a medium that is notorious for its lack of depth? I don't know, but I am glad that I was reminded of this book so I can remember Ishiguro's vision of inhuman humanity and a personless person and enjoy the feeling of disquiet that that conjures in me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Let Me Go.