Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > The Autobiography Of Malcolm X

The Autobiography Of Malcolm X by Alex Haley

Nov 23, 2009

Hard to rate a book like this...I mean in some cases things tend to transcend "enjoyability". In many places and ways I wouldn't call this book, "enjoyable".

Malcolm X's life was a struggle. he was a criminal, a hater, a dupe, a learner, a racist, someone who renounced racism, a member of the Nation of Islam, a renouncer of the Nation of Islam, and a Sunni Muslim who preached peace. He was a fighter and a murder victim (though of course that happened after this book's composition).

I'd recommend this book, to those mature enough for it. the one thing Malcolm X would not want anyone to come away with I believe is hate. In the early chapters he does a good job of expressing that hate, it's roots the pain that brought it about, fed it and so on. I wonder what his life might have been had he not died when he did. Of course we can't know that but the book while somewhat painful is an addition to our story as a people and a nation.

Update:

By the way of course the book was "co-written" by Alex Haley who did the actual writing from a series of interviews with Malcolm X that extended from 1963 up until his death in 1965. Mr Haley did have a lot to do with what is in the book. The way it recounts Malcolm X's life is one where Malcolm X himself changed his mind during the interviews. He left the Nation of Islam during the writing but the two of them decided not to go back and rewrite but to simply write of the change. The book throughout reflects Malcolm X's pride in being black. The story moves through a troubled life to a tragic end and is now thought to be a modern classic of its type.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Autobiography Of Malcolm X.

06/16/2016 marked as: read