Sharon's Reviews > The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite

The End of Overeating by David A. Kessler

F 50x66
Nov 23, 09

Read in November, 2009

I heard the author speak on MPR and was impressed enough to put my name on the long wait list for his book at the library.

I was a little disappointed. Kessler starts out strong with an excellent explanation of why we overeat. Humans love fat/salt/sugar and the food industry is increasingly geared to constantly bombard us with various combinations of fat/salt/sugar. Some of our most popular restaurant meals consist of food that is fried and refried, then layered with salt, sweeteners and oil. Meats are chopped up and made "ultrapalatable" eliminating the need to chew much and allowing us to eat faster. The descriptions of how food is processed to make it marketable and standardized is amazingly unappetizing--I was starting to crave apples and carrots as I read.

But his discussion of what to do about this mess was less focused. He essentially tells his readers to understand the problem and quit eating so much. OK.

He does suggest a "truth campaign" as was done to combat cigarette smoking (Kessler was a leader in tackling the tobacco industry). And the first three quarters of his book are a good start on that. For example, his description of a Hardee's Monster Thickburger as "little more than fat on fat on salt on fat on salt on fat, all on a refined carbohydrate" pretty much killed my interest in ever eating one.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End of Overeating.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Donald NPR: The author spoke on NPR (National Public Radio).

Sharon Donald wrote: "NPR: The author spoke on NPR (National Public Radio)."
I heard it on MPR (Minnesota Public Radio) our local National Public Radio station.

Donald Aha! There really is a MPR. Fascinating.