Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

Nov 16, 12

bookshelves: classics

I was so young when I read this I had trouble understanding it (I'd read Animal Farm). This is one of those books everyone should read, especially now. I went up from 4 (readablity) to 5 based on this book's place in the world, what it says and what it warns.

Update: 11/16/12

I still highly recommend this book...I'd also recommend Brave New World as that book seems to be more the way we're heading at this point in history. Still If you've read Soft Despotism, Democracy's Drift: Montesquieu, Rousseau, Tocqueville, and the Modern Prospect you'll see the way things tend to head historically.

Still highly recommended.
10 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

Quotes Mike (the Paladin) Liked

George Orwell
“Big Brother is Watching You.”

George Orwell
“He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.”

George Orwell
“Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing.”

message 1: by Jenn (new)

Jenn brave new world has my vote. I also loved Fahrenheit 451.

Mike (the Paladin) Right, another that I'd recommend.

Kernos I highly recommend the "sequel" to 1984, Little Brother by Cory Doctorow, one of the most important books I've read published this century.

Jeffrey 1984 is a powerful work of fiction among the best books I have ever read, and I read it in college again in 1984. Brave New World, although a classic in its own right, is not in the same class.

Mike (the Paladin) Maybe not, though I suspect you'll find people who think just the opposite. As far as political warnings go I think the world we're building is headed more the way of Brave New World right now. Though historically "soft despotisms" often morph into the type despotism seen in 1984.

My opinion of curse.