Sam's Reviews > The Kid: What Happened After My Boyfriend and I Decided to Go Get Pregnant

The Kid by Dan Savage

Nov 23, 09

Read in November, 2009

As with any Dan Savage writing, the Kid was hilariously entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and only give it 4 stars because it lacked the polish and broader appeal of The Commitment. I recommended The Commitment to my mom, and while she has enjoyed it, she found it a bit vulgar, and I definitely would not recommend The Kid to her.

Another interesting difference between the two books is Dan's portrayal of his mother. She is a main character in the Commitment, where she plays the role of the crazy overbearing mother. While she still plays the entertaining part of this role in The Kid, Dan portrays more of her kinder gentler side and how close they were. I actually almost cried when he said that when he started making grown-up money, he kept the promise he had made to his mom as a kid to take her to Europe for New Year's Eve. But then my near tears were quickly replaced by laughter as the rest of the story, which I won't spoil.

As a disclaimer, my difference in opinion between The Kid and The Commitment may just be based on their relevance to my life. While as a 23-year old male, the idea of both marriage and kids is pretty damn far off my radar screen, I find myself more interested in Dan's relationship with Terry and the discussions of gay rights in the commitment than the details of the adoption process.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kid.