Morgan F's Reviews > The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer

Feb 13, 10

bookshelves: nfa-library, historical-fiction, 2000s, ww2-holocaust, multiple, read-2010, medium-sized
Read from February 12 to 13, 2010

I've been wanting to get my hands on this book for ages. It was receiving good reviews and was promoted everywhere I looked.

This book, written in epistolary format (points for using a new word!), follows Juliet, an author living in London just after WW2, who receives a letter from a man living on Guernsey who happens to notice her address in a second-hand book he has. They begin a delightful correspodance and Juliet gets sucked into the story of Guernsey's occupation and of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

This book was so delightful and charming it was like a cute old lady. I've never read such a light-hearted book about WW2, and it was a nice change. I fell in love with every single character mentioned. Especially Isola. If it was possible for me to go into a book and kidnap a character, it would be Isola. It's only a pity she doesn't have any super powers. Anyway, I didn't find the letter format confusing, execept for the occasional confusion over the difference between Susan and Sophie. I got sucked into the book more and more as I turned the pages, and by the end I couldn't put it down. However, as it went on, it also got progressively less believable. So some mild disbelief-suspension is required to enjoy the book. I also felt I learned a lot about the Occupation.

I do completely recommend this book with 4.5 stars. It's only a shame that Ms. Shaffer died before the completion of her first novel. I would have read more things from her.

02/12/2010 page 132
45.52% "It's so cute! And I learned a new word: epistolary."