Kathryn's Reviews > The Secret Life of Bees

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

Dec 09, 09

bookshelves: read-in-12-09, fiction, chick-lit, historical, lt
Read in December, 2009, read count: 1

To be fair, I only read this because it was given to me. It's not a book I would have bought for myself. Although I enjoyed this book, I don't think I would read it again. The story was interesting, but all the references to bees were a bit tedious. Obviously with the story being set on a bee farm there's going to be references to bees, but they kept popping up in metaphors throughout the book when they weren't really needed.
I did quite like Lily as a character, I liked how she dealt with the conflicts in her head regarding her parents. The only thing with her is that she seemed much older than she was supposed to be. She's only supposed to be fourteen but the way she talked, thought and acted made me think she was more like 18 or 19. It meant I was quite confused towards the end when they talked about her going back to school.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secret Life of Bees.

Quotes Kathryn Liked

Sue Monk Kidd
“Someone who thinks death is the scariest thing doesn't know a thing about life.”
Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees