Emily's Reviews > Front and Center

Front and Center by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

Jun 03, 13

bookshelves: family-stories, ya-fiction, 2013-reading-challenges, characters-i-wish-i-knew, contemporary, realistic
Read in November, 2009

I’m a big, big fan of the two previous books about high school junior D.J. Schwenk, and this third (and final) book about her does not disappoint. D.J.’s voice is as wonderful as ever, and her family is as caring as can be despite the fact that no one is a talker. At the start of the book, D.J. is headed back to school, just in time for basketball season, after an extended leave of absence caring for her older brother after his spinal cord injury. After making headlines and even a spread in People magazine for playing on the boy’s football team, D.J. is looking forward to blending into the background at school and on the basketball court. No such luck. Everyone wants to talk to D.J., and college recruiters are already coming calling. I loved, loved, loved this book and these characters and the setting in small-town Wisconsin, and my only disappointment with this book is knowing it is the last from D.J., the Schwenks, and Red Bend, WI. A pretty tame YA, could be recommended to younger readers who are reading up. (What I’m trying to say is there is kissing but nothing more.)

Update April 2013: I’ve been re-reading this entire series and have upgraded all ratings to 5 stars. (Originally gave this one 4.) I love this series. I love how the family is so real. The characters are real. DJ feels real. A gem of a trilogy.

Contains: underage drinking

Challenges: YA-MA Let's Read it Again
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Front and Center.