Ben's Reviews > Black Hills

Black Hills by Dan Simmons

Apr 03, 10

bookshelves: read-2010, fiction, historical-fiction
Read from March 09 to 18, 2010

One of my favorite books by Dan Simmons. I love the mix of historical fiction and magical realism that he's been doing lately and this is maybe the best of the bunch. The historical subjects are probably what sets this one apart a bit from the others for me. I'm a bit of an American history buff so I really enjoyed reading about the Black Hills, the Lakota people, Custer, and Mount Rushmore.

Like the last few Simmons books, I wasn't crazy about the ending. However, as a big Neal Stephenson fan, I'm used to a somewhat unsatisfying conclusion*. "It's the journey, not the destination."

* This doesn't include Anathem, which was awesome.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Hills.

03/09/2010 page 1
03/14/2010 page 160
32.85% "Really diggin' this book."
03/18/2010 page 415
85.22% "Need to finish this today. Already overdue at the library."
show 7 hidden updates…

message 1: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben I'm first in line for this at the local library. Doesn't sound extremely appealing based on the description, but I've really enjoyed Simmons's historical fiction so I am looking forward to it.

message 2: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Thanks for your review, Ben!

My parents told me they were at the bookstore recently and picked this up. See, they met & married in Rapid City where my mom grew up. Dad was quite excited until he read the part about the ghosts, which isn't his thing.

So clearly I must pick up their slack and read this! I have many, many happy memories living briefly in South Dakota and visiting there often.

message 3: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben I would love to visit the area some day but I doubt the kids would be up for a South Dakota family vacation any time soon. *sigh*

Anyway, hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 4: by Cindy (new) - added it

Cindy Hah. Yeah, the Black Hills are very pretty, but should probably only be a vacation with kids if you have relatives there. (My mom drug me around illinois & nebraska looking for Laura Ingalls Wilder sites when I was 12 and it was hell.)