Jess the Romanceaholic's Reviews > Night Game

Night Game by Christine Feehan

I wanted to love this book. Really, I did. For most of the book, I kept thinking how it would get at least four stars, possibly even, dare I say it, five.

Gator (our Cajun hero) was delicious, with just the right amount of disarming bayou charm to balance out his alpha-male arrogance, and Flame (our fiery heroine, whose hair matched her temper) was such an amazingly capable and fierce warrior herself that I was cheering each time she put Gator soundly in his place.. And her affinity for knives. So tasty :)

The conspiracy theory that ran throughout just knocked my socks off... I was right there with Gator, torn between just rolling my eyes and chalking her up to a paranoid conspiracy theorist and getting that tingly feeling on the back of my neck that made me think "wait, what if she's right?!"

The action scenes were great, with a fantastic sub-plot that had the most satisfactory conclusion, and the romance was just as intense and scorching as we've come to expect from this series. There was even just the right amount of kink thrown in to keep it from being too formulaic, since the previous books in the series have all had similar intensity to their romance -- which of course is why we read them ;)

But the ending.

Oh the ending.

*sigh*

It just wasn't at all what I was expecting, and quite frankly seemed both rushed and forced (no pun intended). It just seemed... too easy? No, that's not quite right, since most who read it will agree that there was nothing "easy" about the final resolution, but still... It just seemed as though there should have been more angst in the ending than was present. It was like *BAM* this one thing happened and there was just tons and tons of angst and then a little action to throw us off, then a little more angst then fade-to-black, some time passes behind the scenes, and all of a sudden *BAM* they get their HEA. It left me scratching my head, wondering if maybe the publishers had put a page limit on the book and CF was like "ahh crap I'd better get this drama wrapped up so we can move on to the next book" or something.

I don't want to say any more because it really will spoil things, but their HEA just left me feeling hollow, unlike the previous books in the series.

Overall, I give it three stars. It would have been much higher had the ending been more to my tastes. And since I'm currently devouring this series like a starving man at a buffet, I say read it regardless. It may not be the strongest in the series, but up until the ending, it was a fantastic read.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Game.