Julie Anderson's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Lisa McMann

Feb 23, 10

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from February 11 to 16, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Truly it should be rated lower, but I like the characters too much to downgrade it.

Really disappointing! Very predictable! I feel like the writer doesn't like to write. This book could have been so much better had she expanded on some...no I take that back...all of the details. For example, she finds letters written to her mother and it doesn't mention what is said. Another example is that there is a reunion between two characters and the author writes that they talked all night, but doesn't tell what was said!

Many times during the book she speaks directly to the reader by placing lines that says "and that's the way it was". There was even a part where she says that Janie had a hickey on her neck and then the writer says "so you do the math". What?!

This was the final book in the series, and there were many issues that were left unresolved, particularly regarding her mother.

I'll be reluctant to pick up another book from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

In your review where you wrote "There was even a part where she says that Janie had a hickey on her neck and then the writer says "so you do the math". What?!
- Yeah, I thought that was dumb. I had to reread it because I thought maybe Carrie said it to her because it was a bit crude. But to figure out the author just said it was "weird".

Julie Anderson For sure. Its like that is why I read books, so I don't have to do the math...I want it spelled out. I participated in a q&a featuring this author. I got the impression that she is very rebellious by nature (hence her writing style), but its like she wants to rebel against everyone, including those who support her.